Fancy Breakfast Sandwich
This recipe happened by accident b/c I had some mini-brioche buns left over from a party. I was hungry & whipped up this simple, yet "fancy" breakfast sandy. It's one of my favs!
Author: Natalie Forté
- Mini Brioche bun, or mini bun of your choice
- 1 Fried/over easy egg
- Red Onion, thinly sliced
- Avocado, sliced or mashed into a spread
- Gruyere or cheese you have on hand
- Olive oil
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees.
- Place the bun open faced on a baking sheet and add a slice of cheese to the bottom side of the bun (pun intended).
- Keep an eye on the “bun in the oven” to make sure it doesn’t over cook. You just want to melt the cheese and lightly toast the bun.
- Using butter, ghee or coconut oil, coat the skillet and heat on medium-high. Carefully crack an egg into the pan without breaking the yolk. If you do…oh well, make it a scrambled Fancy Breakfast Sandy 😉
- Season the egg with salt, pepper, dill and a touch of cayenne, or your favorite seasonings.
- Cover the pan, turning the burner down to medium or med-low depending on your stove. The egg will be done once you see a white coating over the yolk. If you want to cook it over-medium, cook a little longer.
- Once the bun is very lightly toasted and the cheese is melted, whisk together a little olive oil & Dijon mustard in a bowl.
- Spread the mixture over both sides of the bun.
- Place arugula, avocado, red onion and egg on the bottom side of the bun.
* The edge of the egg will most likely poke out of the bun, but it’s okay. It should look fancy pancy and taste like you have a live-in chef. Enjoy!