Frittata with Cilantro Chile Sauce
This is a little involved but so tasty and great if you're having company over for brunch!
Author: New School of Cooking
- Cilantro Chile Sauce
- 2 large cloves garlic
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 1 small bunch cilantro
- 1 green (serrano) chile, seeds removed
- 2 pinches ground cumin
- a couple big pinches of salt
- 6 large organic eggs
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped (I’ve also used red b/c it’s all I had)
- ½ cup zucchini
- ½ cup chopped bell pepper
- ¼ cup goat cheese, crumbled (optional)
- ¼ cup pumpkin seeds, toasted (optional)
- 1 teaspoon of turmeric (one of the best spices you can have, I call it a super-spice!)
- couple pinches of salt
- Preheat your oven to 450 degrees.
- Make the cilantro chile sauce by pureeing the garlic, olive oil, lemon juice, cilantro, chile, cumin and salt until very smooth.
- Taste and add more salt if needed. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs with a small pinch of salt and turmeric. Set aside.
- In a small 8½ inch ovenproof non-stick skillet or cast iron over med-high heat add the olive oil, onion and another pinch of salt.
- Saute, stirring consistently, until the onion starts to brown, 5-7 minutes.
- Add the veggies, cover and cook for another 3 minutes or so.
- Slide everything out of the skillet onto a plate and set aside.
- Turn down heat a bit.
- Using the same skillet, add the eggs and cook over med-low heat for about 5 minutes or until the eggs are just set and there isn’t a lot of liquid running around the pan.
- To facilitate this, run a spatula underneath the sides of the frittata and tilt the pan so the uncooked eggs run to the underside and cook.
- Drizzle the eggs with a few tablespoons of the cilantro chile sauce, now sprinkle the onion/veggie mixture over the top.
- Place the skillet in the oven and bake for about 9 minutes, or until well set and puffy.
- Add a crumble of goat cheese and the pumpkin seeds across the top of the frittata in the final 2 minutes of baking.
- Remove from oven (be careful the handle is hot!), cut into wedges and serve.